Buffalo Companion Animal Clinic
1214 Hwy 25 N
Buffalo, MN 55313

OFFICE HOURS :

7 am - 8 pm : Mon - Thurs

7 am - 6 pm : Friday

8 am - 2 pm : Saturday

Pet Safety is the Best Way to Show Love This Valentine's Day

 
We understand that humans show their love in different way than pets do but we're extra curious about the flowers, chocolate, and other gifts you give to each other this time of year. Unfortunately, these things aren't always safe for us. Since we might beg for a piece of candy or vigorously investigate your roses, the best thing you can do is keep these and other Valentine's Day gifts out of our reach. 
 
All my love,
Carlos
 
After the excitement and busyness of the holiday season, winter seems to set into a long, cold, and dull routine. Valentine’s Day on February 14 is a welcome exception. This holiday dedicated to love and romance is a fun way to let your spouse, boyfriend, or girlfriend as well as others in your life know how much they mean to you. Cards and gifts of flowers and chocolate are especially popular this time of year. While the human recipients in your home will surely love them, it’s important to take extra precautions to keep your pet safe. 

Valentine’s Day Hazards for Dogs and Cats
It seems hard to believe of such a sweet treat, but chocolate can be toxic and even deadly for companion animals. It only requires your pet ingesting a small amount of chocolate to become extremely ill. The most typical symptoms of chocolate toxicity include:
  • Elevated body temperature
  • Hyperactivity
  • Restlessness
  • Seizures
  • Vomiting
Make it a habit to wrap any uneaten chocolate and store it out of your pet’s reach immediately to avoid a toxic reaction. Additionally, never give in if your pet begs for chocolate when you’re eating it. 

Roses are an extremely romantic gift to give and receive for Valentine’s Day. The flower itself is not harmful, but its thorns can present a choking hazard if your pet chews on or attempts to swallow them. Look for these indications if you think your pet could have swallowed a rose thorn:

  • Decreased appetite
  • Excessive drooling
  • Pawing at his mouth
  • Vomiting
Lilies are another popular type of flower to give as a gift. If you have a cat, you have probably noticed how much she likes to munch on grass and other plants if given the opportunity. Unfortunately, Tiger, Stargazer, and Asiatic lilies are especially harmful for cats. They contain toxins in their petals that can cause a cat to go into immediately liver failure. This can lead to death within 48 hours. Dogs who eat lily petals usually only end up with a bad stomach ache.

Few things are as romantic as a candlelit dinner. However, your pet could ruin the mood in a hurry by knocking a candle over or accidentally burning herself. If you plan to go this route, make sure that your pet is in another room with the door closed. You might also consider an electric candle for safety reasons.

Jewelry, another popular Valentine’s Day gift, piques a pet’s curiosity due to its shininess. If you give or receive a necklace, bracelet, or any type of ring for Valentine’s Day, keep it on your body or place in a jewelry box or another place your pet can’t get at it. The last thing you want is for your pet to swallow a piece of jewelry that’s especially meaningful to you.

Sometimes a pet’s curiosity gets her in trouble, no matter how much you pet-proof your home. If you experience an emergency with your pet, please call Buffalo Companion Animal Hospital at 763-682-2181 during regular office hours. You can also reach the Pet Poison Helpline 24 hours a day at 855-764-7661.

Photo Credit: Toren1 / Getty Images